Memory is affected by various factors such as age and stress, sleep quality, and the medication we take. However, our diet is another factor that plays an important role in memory and brain functions. It has been scientifically proven that certain foods can affect our memory, enhancing brain function and inhibiting its degradation. As our overall health significantly affects our memory, it is quite understandable that our diet has a similar effect.
Nutrients that improve memory are flavonoids, folic acid and omega-3 fats. Therefore, some of the foods that we should consume as part of a healthy diet which are rich in memory enhancers are the following:
- Berries: All berry varieties contain flavonoids (substances responsible for the intense color of fruit) and enhance the functioning of our brain. If fresh berries are not always available in the market, there are frozen berries that contain the same nutrients and can cater to your dietary needs throughout the year.
- Green, leafy vegetables: Spinach and cabbage, turnips and other green vegetables contain folic acid and directly help improve memory. Through regular consumption of these vegetables, the brain enhances its ability to process information faster and recalls memories of the past more effectively.
- Oily fish: Salmon and sardines, mackerel and herring are excellent food choices. They contain large amounts of omega-3 oils, which have a positive effect in preventing dementia and other problems related to memory. Ideally, consume 4 servings of fatty fish per week. If this seems impossible to you, you can find molecularly distilled omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
- Coffee: Everyone seeks a cup of coffee in the morning to wake up and to cope with the tough schedule of our daily lives. At the same time, coffee is known to improve brain function significantly. Of course, coffee consumption should always be moderate. Filtered coffee and Greek coffee should be preferred as they provide the best results without any side effects.
- Nuts: If you’re looking for a snack that benefits the brain and memory significantly, nuts are an ideal food choice for you. Especially, unsalted nuts provide extremely beneficial nutrients and help to enhance memory and fight fatigue. Choose nuts and almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for a nutritious, tasty and healthy snack.
As part of a healthy diet, always choose natural foods, lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts and lean protein options. Avoid excessive coffee and alcohol consumption, as well as heavily processed unhealthy snacks and fried foods. It is beneficial to sleep 7-8 hours each day and to reduce stress as it has a negative effect on our memory and overall health. Gradually, with the right diet, regular exercise and by adopting healthy habits, we will have excellent results in memory and brain function.
Best of Health,