During pregnancy, every woman has increased dietary needs. However, for many years there have been misinterpretations as to the actual needs of the pregnant woman. As a result, overeating and wrong choices of meals and snacks can lead to discomfort or health problems to the mom to be. Therefore, it is necessary to raise awareness about the healthy choices that will help all women during pregnancy. Besides, pregnancy can be a great opportunity to adopt healthier dietary habits that can last a lifetime!
What Should Women Consume During Pregnancy?
Here are the rules and foundation for a successful, healthy diet that will help both the mother and the child:
· Quality, Not Quantity: It is important for the pregnant woman to understand that she does not need to eat for two. Certainly there are increased dietary needs during the 9 months of pregnancy, as well as during breastfeeding. But these needs can be covered through a healthy menu that includes vegetables and fruits, lean protein and rich-fiber foods, dairy and good, sugar balancing carbohydrates.
· Folic Acid: Folic acid or vitamin B9 is extremely important for the development of the nervous system in the fetus. Therefore, even during the couple’s attempts to conceive, it should not be excluded from the woman’s diet.
· Pay Attention to the Snacks: Many times the lack of having frequent snacks can prevent us from maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Consequently, ideal healthy snacks can be very beneficial during pregnancy and help balance our blood sugar levels. Examples of beneficial, healthy snacks can be fresh and dried fruit, sugar free cereal bars, Greek yogurt and fruit salads, as well as low fat cheese, veg & fruit juices or smoothies.
· Love Fish: Good or bad, fish and seafood are extremely beneficial sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, you have to get used to eating from the sea. While every woman should avoid high-mercury fish such as salmon and tuna, when white fish and seafood are cooked well, they can be very tasty and nutritious.
· Hydrate: Proper hydration is essential, even if you are following the perfect diet, especially during pregnancy.
Of course this habit should be adopted beyond the duration of pregnancy and breastfeeding.
During pregnancy, there are important changes in a woman’s body. Some of them make us fear the unknown. However, it is up to us to stay healthy and to cope with the increased needs and changes that take place in our body. Proper nutrition is vital to everyone and especially during pregnancy, where both the pregnant woman and the growing embryo need the proper amount of nutrients. Every pregnant woman should closely monitor her daily diet and, if she does not have the required knowledge, it is extremely important for her to seek advice from a specialist.
Best of Health,